Follow by Email

Friday, December 9, 2011

A Nip and Tuck for Zoomer and Scout

It was Saturday, November 26th, our third day together. Today they were going to the vet for their first exam, neuter and dental cleaning. We left about 8:45 a.m. to make the check-in of 9 a.m.

They were nervous about where they were going.  But nothing compared to when they arrived at the vet's office.  Zoomer was shaking and could not be consoled. Scout was shaking too. There was no way around this so we had to leave them.

We picked them up, from the vet, about 5 p.m. and when they got home, wearing those PITA E-collars, it wasn't fun for anyone. New sounds and even some sights still frightened them. When they bumped those collars against each other or against the wall it would make Scout jump.  Zoomer would run frantically both away from the sounds and in circles. After all they had been through in their lives, they were once again horribly confused and afraid.

Their den was was in our downstairs hallway.  We had a gate at both ends. Their beds and water were always in there as were a few toys.  We mostly keep the gate open when we are home,  and close it when we have to leave or sleep, (to help potty train them and help them feel safe). The hallway is in the middle of the downstairs so that is where they choose to relax even when the gate is open.  

That night was the hardest because they were not easily consoled. We took them upstairs to our bedroom so we could keep an eye on them. It was even worse.  The extra space seem to confuse them and while Scout chose to lay in front of the sofa, Zoomer wouldn't relax and was running around and bumping Scout.  At one point, after being bumped my Zoomer's e-collar, Scout literally jumped a foot or so off the floor. This wasn't working. My husband took them back downstairs, to their den, and he lied down with them to get them to relax.  That seemed to work and they slept the rest of the night.

Sunday, Nov. 27 was better.  When we let them out or they were wandering around the house, outside of their den, we would take the e-collars off so they wouldn't bump them.   When they were resting in their den, we would have them wear them so they wouldn't lick or chew their sutures. Those collars are horrible, for any dog, let alone these dogs whom had suffered so much.

After they were neutered, it seemed to help the "marking" done by both dogs even though Scout was beginning to use the outdoors pretty well.  Zoomer was nervous outside and we normally had to stay out there with him for at least 15-20 minutes just to get him to pee.  He was still having accidents but that was because he was scared of the outside.

We didn't take them for a walk that day as we wanted them to take it easy.  We were becoming attached to them and realizing how blessed we were to be a part of this: The Beagle Freedom Project's endeavor and the feeling that this was something bigger than all of us was so amazing to me.

These dogs are miracles to me because they made it out alive of a laboratory.  Most do not. 


  1. T'is true. T'is very true. They will be okay...time, patience and a whole lotta love is what they need.